Friday, April 12, 2013




As a Frenchman, I am standing in the park totally puzzled in front of this monument which is supposed to commemorate a battle between the valiant inhabitants of Zaragoza and the ferocious soldiers of Napoleon, at the beginning of the 18th when the French troops were storming the country. Nowhere can I find the information telling me if the city finally surrendered after a long and brutal siege or if Napoleon decided to leave and move on with the war, letting Zaragoza celebrating a great victory over the Napoleonic army. I finally decide that it does not matter. the hundreds of kids who play today in the park probably do not care. They just enjoy a happy moment in the sun, celebrating Spring rather than a war long forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. As a Spaniard, I had a pretty similar feeling in London's Trafalgar square facing the monument to the famous battle against Spain and France.

    ReplyDelete